Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I hate people

There's that old sentiment that you learn a lot about yourself from a fight (maybe not so old, maybe Fight Club?). Either way, today I had three excruciating confrontations with employees of the College. Granted, they all had their own flavour... sometimes I was standing, stationary, pacing; sometimes there was shouting on both sides, sometimes it was very quiet and passive aggressive and the power dynamics were clear. This is what I have learned:

The people who have power over you are not necessarily better than you in anyway. They are not more intelligent or mature. They are not necesarily insightful or logical. Heaven forbid they show a little understanding. Some random sequence of events has placed them over you, and they will often use their power, their inflated self-image, and their arbitrary systems of assessment to make your life less pleasant than it would otherwise be.

This is what I've learned about myself:

I have to be my own boss. But so much time, space and effort are separating me from that happy day. I guess I should stop being dramatic and struggle on...

1 comment:

GL said...

you need to call me and tell me what happened. you know I love di suss.