Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How to get a Green Card - the paradoxes of immigration


In case you didn't pick up on it, I am in grad school now for a PhD in Math. I'm having a great time of it so far, but I can see that I am at a tremendous disadvantage simply because I am not a US citizen or permanent resident.

The government, rightfully acknowledging the need for American scientists and mathematicians, pours money into these fields. That's why Math PhD's get paid to finish their degree. That's why a couple of my classmates can call someone up and get Uncle Sam to pay for their text books, or why some of them are getting an all expense paid trip to New Orleans in January... for a Math conference of course. Government money flooding all over.

However, government money can only flow to US permanent residents and citizens. This leaves my Jamaican ass out in the cold. I can't even apply for the great majority of fellowships etc. But I figure, I've been in the US for 6 years now. By the end of my degree that 6 will be 12, and as a Math PhD, I would be valuable to the country. There must be a way of getting permanent residency over the next 6 years.

WRONG. There is absolutely no legal way for me to even qualify for an application. I have no immediate family here, I am not married to an American, and I am not famous in any field. So, given the unlikeliness of any of those things happening (I am still holding out for a Field's Medal!), there is no hope. I am cut off from the most promising opportunities in my field. I don't like the statistics either... immigrant graduates tend to be shunted from college to college after they get their PhD's.... never ever to be granted tenure.

Have I doomed myself to third class status by choosing to be an immigrant scholar? No, I actually think that the short-sightedness of current US immigration policy is to blame. There are so many great countries that would welcome a Math PhD with open arms; allowing me at least residency status.

Don't they remember that was how this country was built? And since the home-grown talent ain't that great... no offense

Conclusion:I fully believe the US deserves to lose it's immigrant talent
Observation: The outflow has already begun...


Addendum:why immigrant entrepreneurs are going home

5 comments:

GL said...

is that German girl someone you know? I wonder if there are differences in the way folk get treated based on ski-- I mean, national origin.

elli said...

I don't know that German girl. Grabbed random photo off the internet. But in fact yes, there is a difference based on country of origin. There is a path to green-card ship if you come from a country that is "underrepresented" in the US. If you come from some countries you can also enter the green card lottery (Jamaican's are not eligible). Also, for the regular ways of getting a green card, numbers are capped by country, so even if you are lucky enough to qualify to apply for an green card, you are still screwed if you are Chinese or Indian because of a long ass waiting list (at least 3 years I hear, before your application is looked at).

MShake82 said...

I'd check out Europe. America kind of sucks at the moment.

Unknown said...

Great!!! I would love the US looses you. I think you're better than them!

elli said...

No, I don't think I'm better than them... but I do think I'm pretty great ;)