Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ill-timed Confessions and Bitter-sweet Ego Boosts

So I was in the bar again last night. There was this Junior guy who had dropped into campus for one night to pick up his stuff. He was leaving the next day for study abroad. 

So he came by, hugged me. We said our goodbyes and I said I would see him at home-coming next year when all the seniors make their drunken return. 

But after the goodbyes he just stood their awkwardly looking at me, and while I willed him to walk away he grabbed my arm, leaned in and told me that he has been crazy about me since the day we met. 

....

I'm not interested in him that way. And even if I was what did he expect? That I would jump him right then and there taking advantage of the only chance we ever had together. Maybe - as my guy friends later told me - he just wanted closure on this crush of his that he has been harbouring for no reason. Either way, it was ill-timed and didn't get the best reception.

"You can't say that shit to me right now." and then he walked away.

How much courage does it take to act on a crush? How much more does it take to straight up talk about it? How much of a coward am I?

 

No comments: