Sunday, October 28, 2007

Guests

I had visitors for the first time this term; three visitors from the 5 college area. And when they arrived, their friends descended upon my room. It was excellent fun. But it did three things. First, it made me realize how spartan my room is. A friend once told me, never to trust a person with nothing in their dorm rooms. It's a sign of secrets and instability. I am one of those people. But frankly, what can you do? My room would look more lived in if it was more lived in.

Second it made me realize how good friends are. They come and enjoy you and you enjoy them. They will travel for miles just to sit on your floor. They are patient, they are loving and they don't care if you smell bad. And they can last forever, ever changing, ever interesting.

Third, it made me contemplate the etiquette of hosting. I had the time of my life this weekend, but my weekend is all gone now. I had to give up other friends and events and all school work. But it could not have happened any other way. When you have guests, they must receive your full attention. If someone travels to see you, they rightly become the centre of your universe. Now I must put my butt in gear and work like crazy for the next solid 48 hours. But first, dance practice.

No comments: