Saturday, October 6, 2007

outside consulting

Had my first ever job interview with a consulting firm yesterday. I don't know how it went. There are moments when I feel it went really well, and others when I replay a moment and know it could have gone a lot better. It's the worst kind of self-torture. I guess Nietzsche was right - one of the worst illnesses is the inability to forget. At least the interview was good practice.

But now I have other things to think about. Tonight I'm stage-managing for a show and it is a hot mess. First rehearsal was yesterday night. Last rehearsal this morning. Still haven't seen half the pieces. People are just too damn disorganized and expect other people to save their butts. And its even worse because this is a memorial celebration. Put some effort in.

Someone asked me yesterday why I like stage-managing - it's not as fulfilling as performing after all. But Stage managing is a different kind of creation. Like drawing in water on hot pavement. Like quilting. I'm ok with staying behind the scenes.

Yesterday night I told an old buddy that I'm happy he's my friend. He took that as evidence that I was drunk. We don't say these things often enough.

No comments: