Friday, October 26, 2007

persuasion and illusion

While in an interview with another firm I realized that there are so many skills you can cultivate in life. He was telling me about their stellar metorship programme and how they develop the leadership skills of their employees. They teach them how to be organized, how to break down a problem and attack. But then they teach them how to have a presence, how to persuade, how to inspire awe.

You never quite think of these things as things you can learn. You figure, either you are born with them or you are not. And then you figure that those with natural ability will always be better at the game. But how true is this? More imporatantly, which of these skills do I have and which do I lack? In about a year, I will somehow have to persuade leading businesses that they both need and should listen to my advice. I think this is a kind of seduction far beyond my capabilities.

No comments: