Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Very Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas folks. I hope that the holidays have treated you well. Mine have been a mixed bag. In fact, so 'mixed' that I would say it has been bad,

1. My old relative over at formerly known as nearly killed himself in a car crash. But I'll let him talk more in depth about that one.

2. The husband of a church sister of ours was shot dead outside his home. Two men were lurking in the yard and shot at him while he drove out. They didn't take his money, or his car; only his life. Perhaps they didn't have the time. For the first time I am truly afraid to be living in the most violent country on earth.

3. And finally, my father , in his supererogatorty decision to wait for me when I had decided not to go, was made late for midnight mass at Christmas. He spent the entire car ride calling me 'swine', told me to be more like my brother, and banned me from the house for spring break, saying 'mi nuh wah see yuh'. All in all, this shyt came from nowhere. I guess he must have been upset about something. But I'm tired of getting the bad end of every bad mood in that house.

I wonder if he will take it back. No, that will never happen. I wonder if he will bat an eye when I walk away and never come back. All I get is the impression that he is waiting for me to fail so that he can gloat and affirm the impression he has had about me since I was 7. I guess I'll see him on graduation day.

Anyway, I don't fly back to school until the 4th of January. Let's see what we can make of the rest of the holidays.

No comments: